Thursday, July 23, 2009

In the begining.....

When I was a little kid I was always the one trying to bring home anything furry that I thought might need my help. That means baby birds, baby squirrels, baby bunnies, and any stray that would let me get my hands on them. Sometimes I would bring home dogs larger than I was. When I was around 10 or so my mom tore out a newspaper article about a lady in South Dallas that ran an anything and everything rescue through her house. Anything that needed her help, got her help. There was a phone number to contact if you wanted to volunteer. I started going to the lady's house to help her take care of her animals. There were bunnies, cats, dogs, hamsters, birds of all kinds, a squirrel, tons of pot bellied pigs (this was right after their pet craze,) she had even taken two capuchin monkeys in to train them as assistance monkeys for the physically impaired. She taught me about how to take care of animals, how every animal needs something just a little bit different. There I learned about how the decision to own the "it" pet can affect many animals for the rest of their lives. I learned what "rescue" meant and that people can treat animals cruelly and thoughtlessly. I saw litters of potbellied pigs being born in a back yard already over full of pigs no one wanted anymore. I saw the eyes of the pets abandoned, left behind and abused. This was different from the dog that got loose from his yard because he was afraid of the storm, the baby bird that fell from its nest. This was real suffering and loss these pets were going through and it was because of us, People. I hadn't yet learned about our impact on our animal friends. From that point on I decided that I would make sure to give everything I could in my life to help as many animals as I possibly could. I knew then I was, a Rescuer.

Since then I have volunteered for Operation Kindness being a regular volunteer, helping in their shelter, at adoption events, and as a pregnant cat foster. I have as always taken in whichever animal happens to come my way that tells me it needs my help, that makes around three rats, 6 cats, and 5 dogs, all those were independent fosters that now have either passed on or found very good loving homes. I have fostered for several rescue groups, and helped out shelters. I have a MYSPACE site that is dedicated to helping pets find homes and people become more informed about pets and pet care. Hopefully this BlogSpot will help do the same. Pretty much if I can help in some way, I will try to help. Even when I am busy, sick and basically don't really enjoy having to work with others I still try to do what I can.

Though I pretty much never have money and what money I do have normally goes to my pets and my foster pets I do try to donate to places like the Humane Society and the ASPCA when I have a couple of extra dollars. $8 annually is better than none I suppose. I have started an ETSY page to sell the things I make to help afford to care for our fosters. I will be happy to go the extra mile for those willing to go the extra mile for the funds to care for my animals! Please check it out; http://www.kittyskrafties.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment